Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Taking the high road...

Just another pub on Princes Street
What a magnificent place is Edinburgh, Scotland. My husband and I had two lovely nights at our Bed and Breakfast, but we should have spent a week!

I didn't get to Loch Lomond (another reason to go back)! But I simply must include this video of the Song "Loch Lomond" which include the lyrics "Ye'll take the high road and I'll take the low road". I've always loved to sing this song. This version is performed by John McDermott (a Scottish-Canadian) with a magnificent voice! The video is captioned with a lot of interesting facts about the area.


Our first evening in Edinburgh we took a bus from our B&B down to Princes Street and spent the evening seeing the sights on the Royal Mile. That is a succession of streets connecting Edinburgh castle to Holyrood Abbey (one of which is called High Street.)  It is very picturesque, there are lots of pubs and restaurants and great places to shop.


The Royal Mile
An old clock tower







Sunset on the Royal Mile

We didn't eat here, but I couldn't resist taking a picture of this cafe.






The view from our restaurant window.

The beginning and end of our luscious meal!

Pint and half pint of ale
Sticky toffee pudding



Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky
We had a lovely meal (I wish I could remember what it was!) But what I do remember is that after we ate, my husband decided to try the local whisky. We have not ever been big on drinking Scotch whisky but when in Scotland.... we were ready for anything! So my husband casually asks for a list of their "Scotch". Now in Canada -- or probably anywhere in North America -- this would be a perfectly understandable request. Except that it would be a very short list, if there even was a list! However here, the waitress looked a bit perplexed. After a bit more explanation, she said, "Oh yes, you want to see a list of our malt whisky!" This is when it ocurred to me that of course in Scotland -- everything is Scotch! (Duh!) As I explained to my husband, in France they don't call them "french" fries either! And in Canada, what Americans might call Canadian whisky we just call Rye. This is why travel is such a mind expanding exercise! By the way, the list was very long, but our waitress was very knowledgeable and gave us a great recommendation. Long story short -- we are now officially admirers of good Scotch whisky.

Oops! How did that picture get in here? Oh yes... Isn't that Richard Armitage drinking some whisky?
(This picture is from Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series: Ordeal By Innocence)

I have lots more to say about Scotland...so stay tuned for further posts!

8 comments:

Traxy said...

And in Sweden, meatballs are just meatballs. ;) Thanks for a lovely report, sounds like you had fun!

I'd love to go to Edinburgh. Aside from being a scenic town, wasn't it there they filmed bits of North & South?

With "Loch Lomond" the song, American Pagan/Celtic band Emerald Rose say that most of the time, it's sung in a very jolly way, which technically is wrong - because it's a death song. The high road being the normal road we walk on in the real world, and the low road is the path of the spirit, the underworld. And then they proceed to sing it more as a ballad. Good song, though, good song!

JaneGS said...

My daughter and I did have a good hearty breakfast at the Rabbie Burns cafe--we couldn't resist it either :)

Loved our 2 days in Edinburgh--Holyrood House was actually my favorite.

Great pictures--I didn't read the caption the first time on the last picture, and just assumed that was your husband.

JaneGS said...

We also loved the Elephant House coffee house--did you make it there?

I've been devouring the 44 Scotland Street series which makes me really want to return to Edinburgh.

DEZMOND said...

oh, I must find me some Scottish friend to crash in his/her place during summer and enjoy that scenery.

Avalon said...

The photos are lovely.
I am not a drinker, but the ale looked refreshing. The pudding did not look so good....however the photo of RA did.

Myrtle said...

Lovely post Phylly, Edinburgh is my favourite Scottish City.

@Traxy, yes, some of the N&S external 'Georgian town house scenes were filmed there, also the scene in which Thornton walks down the alley way and gives money to the straving child, is near the Royal Mile. The backdrop, when Margaret goes for her daily walk is also Edinburh, the modern day images e.g electric light have been erased.

Charleybrown said...

Thanks for sharing your pics Phylly, I see that you're intent on turning us green with envy!

Phylly3 said...

@Traxy-- Just wait there's more coming about my visit to Scotland!
@Jane -- I was so sorry we didn't get to Holyrood House, as I am sure I would have preferred it to Edinburgh castle. The castle was almost devoid of furniture and it is so much better to see how people actually lived! I was actually most pleased to see the privy! LOL
@Dezz-- If your country gets too hot in the summer, than Scotland is the place for you! I loved it there, but it's definitely not a place to sunbathe!
@Avalon, Yes, the ale was most refreshing! I ordered the half pint, but ended up having another so I might as well have ordered the Pint glass!
@Myrtle -- Thank you...and stay tuned!
@Charleybrown -- Awww! I wish you could come too! It would be great to go with a group of RA fans and really see all the locations! I did my best but I couldn't subject my poor hubby to too much RA "fan"tasmagoria!