Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rise up RA fans!

Kudos to at least three RA bloggers who have committed themselves to creative fund raising ideas to help out Chrishchurch, New Zealand after the devastating earthquake they suffered several months ago.

Bravo to Calexora for issuing a challenge to Richard Armitage to play his cello on the telethon.  Wouldn't we all love to see that!  Then Servetus decided to raise funds on her blog by matching our comments with dollars, and RAFrenzy followed suit!  What a generous group of people!

I don't really have anything to offer here except that the title Rise Up Christchurch has reminded me of some very upbeat and/or inspiring songs.  Almost anything can make me think of a song, so please excuse me, but here I go again...
 

Rise Up / by The Parachute Club (1983)


This next song is also very inspiring for anyone, but especially for those who have experienced a tragedy. The Rankin Family's version is my favourite but here they sing on a special television program starring Anne Murray singing also with Rita Macneil and The Men of the Deeps and many more special guests.  It reminds me of those who suffered from the recent Japanese tsunami.

Rise Again





I hope I will have a chance to watch the telethon at some point this weekend.

Sorry about this rushed post, but my daughter is visiting us for her birthday and we're opening up the cottage this Victoria Day weekend, so I just popped by the house to pick up something.  Have a great weekend everyone!

***UPDATE:***
Thank you to RA Central for the video of Sir Ian McKellan's interview on the Rise Up Christchurch telethon where he introduces the dwarves in their new costumes.  Richard Armitage Central dot com also has made available stills from the video which is where I snaffled this one:
I never would have recognized him, but for the hands!

Here he is holding up a copy of The Hobbit autographed by the cast which was one of the auction items for the Fund Raising appeal.

5 comments:

tyme_4_t said...

Hope you had a fantastic Victoria Day Weekend!

Love both "Rise Up" and "We Rise Again" (my sister & dad danced to We Rise Again at her wedding) - great songs!

Phylly3 said...

@tyme_4_t -- Thanks so much for your comment. I did have a wonderful Victoria Day weekend. My daughter was born on Victoria Day 25 years ago and she came home to celebrate with us. If only we'd had more sun, it would have been perfect. I think your gloomy days from last week made there way here. Next week it's supposed to be sunny again. Go figure!
We Rise Again must have been beautiful for a father-daughter dance. I would have bawled my eyes out! ;_;

mulubinba said...

Hi Phylly,

Nice post. I've found another song "We fall down we get up" by Bob Carlisle that is quite good too http://www.clevver.com/music/video/188923/bob-carlisle-we-fall-down.html

Phylly3 said...

@mulubinba-- Thanks for the link but I couldn't get it to work for me. However, I did find the song on Youtube and listened to it. It was like a minimovie and very inspirational! I probably shouldn't admit it, but it reminded me of Chumbawamba's hit: Tubthumping (I Get Knocked Down). **sheepish grin** I know...from the sublime to the ridiculous-- but that's me!

mulubinba said...

Sorry the link didn't work. I was in a hurry to post as my parents arrived for lunch ...lol. I think we fall down, we get up kind of sums up the attitude of so many communities suffering frequent tragedies.

Lol to Chumbawamba's Tubthumping. I quite like it :)