Monday, January 16, 2012

Funny Money for a song

Canadian singer / songwriter Corin Raymond has a very unique idea to raise funds for his next studio recording.  Since he wrote the song Don't Spend it Honey which refers to CanadianTire money, he wondered if his supporters might want to send him their Canadian Tire bucks since he found a studio which will actually accept it as legal tender!

Canadian Tire bucks, for those readers who are not familiar with this uniquely Canadian phenomenon are what the Canadian Tire hardware store gives out to customers with each purchase as a type of coupon which can be used with your next purchase.  Most Canadians save up this money and sometimes never even use it!

I have been a big fan of Corin's since first hearing him play with his friend and fellow bandmate Sean Cotton as The Undesirables.  I even posted one of his videos on one of my latest train themed posts. Currently Corin is working with a back up band called The Sundowners.  They are planning on recording a Live Album which on Jan. 24 & 25 at the Tranzac in Toronto.


Here is an earlier video of Corin singing about how music is more important to him than money.



Fill Me Up With Sound / The Undesirables (featuring Corin Raymond)

Unfortunately, independent artists trying to make it in the music business have to use a considerable amount of the cash earned from touring and playing gigs in all manner of places to pay for studio sessions. But that is how they get their recordings out there for people to hear and (hopefully) buy. 

Yesterday I attended a house concert in the home of a local supporter of the musical arts where we collected  a basketful of Canadian Tire bucks to send to Corin.

Here he is with a video explaining his campaign and singing the song that inspired it all:


If you have ever shopped at Canadian Tire and collected any Canadian Tire bucks, wouldn't it be fun to feel you had a part in producing a music album by a very talented, and deserving up and coming singer / songwriter? If you would like more information, along with the address to send this fun little currency, please visit a special web page created for this purpose: http://www.dontspendithoney.com/   The latest news is that if he can raise enough, the record producer is willing to carry some of the funds over to his next recording as well.  So that might mean he gets the next 2 albums paid for!

Now, you may be wondering, if you are a frequenter of this blog -- What has all this got to do with Richard Armitage? Wait for it, I am getting there I promise!

You see, when I visited England in July 2010 I happened  to stop in for a drink at a pub where the walls were decorated with paper currency from all over the world.  Of course I scanned the walls looking for a Canadian bill.  I should let you know that the lowest currency in paper is a Five Dollar bill.  There used to be One and Two dollar bills but they were phased out with coins charmingly knicknamed Loonies (after the Loon on the back) and Twoonies (just for fun).  I wouldn't say that Canadians are stingy people, but let's just say they are known for being more frugal than some other nationalities.  So I was getting a bit worried about not being able to find any Canadian bills -- until finally -- I saw it!  You guessed it -- a Canadian Tire buck -- right there amongst all the real money.  Well that certainly made me chortle (rather ashamedly actually).  I had to share my glee with the bartender, who practically rolled his eyes because I'm sure he hears the same story from every Canadian who ever comes in there!  Later, I did find a real Canadian fiver on the wall so my sense of national pride was restored.
Bar Bucks

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem
Don't you just wonder where this interesting pub was located?  First, I should tell you a bit of its history. 
Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem claims to be the oldest inn in England.  Although the actual building which stands today is not original, the location of the brewery dates back to 1189 AD (or CE if you prefer), the same year Richard the Lionhearted became King Richard I. Apparently knights would stop here on their way to the Crusades.  The brew house was located in the caves at the foot of the castle in Nottingham.
Yes! That is the Nottingham as in Sherwood Forest of Robin Hood fame! 

The caves below Nottingham Castle
My husband and I were visiting with friends and only had one night so we didn't have a chance to visit the castle other than to take a couple of pictures of it on the way to the pub.  Our friends didn't seem to think the castle was much to see, but I was quite disappointed not to have a better tour.  It is difficult to spend time with friends and sightsee at the same time, especially when short of time.  So I am determined to return someday and do a proper tour!


We did have a lovely visit with our friends and I must admit, the tour of their English garden was one of the highlights of our trip for me.  They even kept their own bees which made delicious honey!


Here is the view from their livingroom window.

You have probably guessed by now where I'm going with this post.  Since we have now arrived in Sherwood Forest, I can at last mention my favourite character in the BBC's version of the Robin Hood series.  He is none other than Guy of Gisborne as portrayed by Richard Armitage as the antihero with heroic tendencies.


Wouldn't it be a dream to meet Sir Guy at the local pub?



 Guy seems to be enjoying his drink.  
We must have spent awhile in that pub because his hair seems to have grown quite a bit!



Guy has a few too many brews and gets a bit flirty.  
Of course I don't mind, but my husband is getting annoyed so we have to say our goodbyes.


Luckily Guy pays the tab as all I had on me was Canadian Tire bucks!
I don't think Sir Guy is impressed. 

2 comments:

DEZMOND said...

love that castle pic with all the flowers, lovely!

Phylly3 said...

Thanks DEZZ! It was a beautiful place to visit. I really wanted to go into the caves... maybe next time!